Thursday, February 5, 2009

having my garden, and eating it too--or else


Just stumbled across this very cool enviro news site, thanks to an article I browsed on Salon.com. So this dude says we must sustainably farm, or we all starve to death. (Okay, I exaggerate a bit, but you now get my point very clearly, no?)

Anyway, it put me in mind of the Kenyan slum gardener. He's definitely on to something, probably much bigger than he even imagined...

In theory, of course, I support the thesis that sustainable food growing is the way to go. Do I believe it's truly possible for the whole world, in these times, to go this route? Nope, not really. Not right now, that's for sure. In some ways, I can really foresee another extinction coming our way...and it might be us. Some people these days know how to grow their own food, live where they can do just that, and have the time and inclination. But most of us...nah. It will be very, very interesting to see where we end up.

Food for thought...ahem.

2 comments:

Travis said...

namaste julie-

very cool article. I agree...it will be very interesting to see how people, particularly in this country, respond to a food shortage caused by the decline of petroleum based agriculture. I have a garden in my house and I can say it is much more than a hobby...sort of training I suppose. If you are interested you should check this out: http://www.tangledwilderness.org/?p=102 It is "post-civilization"/ green anarchy theory. It is a combination of anti-civilization/anti-technology, primitivism, and the idea we live in a society that could probably never function under either of those theories. Basically it is everything you are talking about in a lot of ways. That we must have a future in which we use technology wisely and responsibly, and also return to simpler ways of life: organic farming, home gardens, hunting/gathering etc...anyway check it out. Some of it is pretty good stuff! Take care. Thanks for the article.

Stay wild. Stay free.

Julie Trevelyan said...

Cool link--thanks. Have you read the novel World Made By Hand by James Howard Kuntsler? He wrote the nonfiction book The Long Emergency, about the whole oil issue. World Made By Hand is an apocalyptic novel, imagining what the US would look like after the oil ran out...lots of sustainable farming in that book, for sure! Sobering. (I wasn't actually a big fan of the writing style and characterizations, but the overall concept is interesting and perhaps alarmingly prescient...)